Magma Tutorial / Code examples

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Thu Oct 9 14:29:44 UTC 2008

Hi!

Brent Pinkney wrote:
> Hi Milan,
>
> Ther will be a lot of documentation forthcoming on Magma soon(-ish).

Cool! :)

> I would suggest the Lava test cases as a decent place to start.
>
> I would also ping this list for help.
>
> Brent

As noted Gjallar uses Magma but definitely not in the "easiest manner". :)

Since Gjallar uses "reified transactions" in the form of a class
hierarchy with one subclass for each "kind" of database change - and
then instantiates such a class, feeds it with the proper data, and then
tell it to "execute" on the model, finally putting it away for
historical reasons in an ever growing MagmaCollection - it definitely
makes it hard to "find" the use of Magma in Gjallar.

It is really not a good example of how to use an OODB/Magma in the
"vanilla" case.

Having said that Gjallar is still an interesting example since we use
both strategies, indexing and quite a complex object model - all working
quite smoothly.

For example, we have a customer running a Gjallar instance since january
without any issues - the VM has not even been restarted since then.

regards, Göran