Magma Tutorial / Code examples

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 9 22:32:52 UTC 2008

On 2008 October 9, Göran Krampe wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Brent Pinkney wrote:
> > Hi Milan,
> >
> > Ther will be a lot of documentation forthcoming on Magma soon(-ish).
>
> Cool! :)

Sounds exciting - pushing my luck - do you have a rough information as to
when, and/or would there be a pre-alpha version of the docs available?

> > I would suggest the Lava test cases as a decent place to start.
> >
> > I would also ping this list for help.
> >
> > Brent
>
> As noted Gjallar uses Magma but definitely not in the "easiest manner". :)
>
> Since Gjallar uses "reified transactions" in the form of a class
> hierarchy with one subclass for each "kind" of database change - and
> then instantiates such a class, feeds it with the proper data, and then
> tell it to "execute" on the model, finally putting it away for
> historical reasons in an ever growing MagmaCollection - it definitely
> makes it hard to "find" the use of Magma in Gjallar.

ok

> It is really not a good example of how to use an OODB/Magma in the
> "vanilla" case.
>
> Having said that Gjallar is still an interesting example since we use
> both strategies, indexing and quite a complex object model - all working
> quite smoothly.

ok

> For example, we have a customer running a Gjallar instance since january
> without any issues - the VM has not even been restarted since then.

that is cool. If I have it my way, and with a bit of luck, this will be an app
that need about 100K - 1mil and up objects stored (@ up to 1K per object)
with potentially up to 100K of them processed in a transaction (only a few
fields updated though) - not sure I won't be pushing some Squeak limits. At
this  point, a Magma learning and familiarization exercise for me...

Thanks, Milan