Magma and UUID?

Jerry Bell jdbell at oxfordmetamedia.com
Mon Oct 13 12:58:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

One of my models has a UUID stored in an instance variable.

It appears that the UUID is not always converted back to a real
object.   I'm using Seaside, and I often get walkbacks when dealing
with this ivar.  Specifically, I use this UUID to create a filename,
using "(myUUID printString), '.rss'."  The walkback shows that I am
ending up with something like "a MagmaMutatingProxy .rss".  When I
examine the debugger, I find a MagmaMutatingProxy where I would expect
to find my UUID.

If I open an explorer on the object, and click on the
MagmaMutatingProxy, I will see the real UUID appear.  After that
happens, my application will run with no further problems (I am using
Magma seasideHelper and I suspect that the reified object is cached).

If I replace my accessor method "^ uuid" with "^ uuid copy" everything
seems to work correctly.   So far that seems like a good workaround
but I'd like to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.  Is it
possible that Magma is not always handling UUIDs correctly?

Thanks,

Jerry