Magma Session connection perfomance?

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 12:26:09 UTC 2009

Stuart Herring wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Udo Schneider
> <Udo.Schneider at homeaddress.de> wrote:
>
>> I do not really care about the server - however having a user to wait for
>> 10-12 seconds for the initial page/login is quite another story.
>>
>> I'm currently using a base 3.10 image with r42alpha4 on a DualCore 2.4 Ghz
>> Linux Machine.
>>
>> Are these times "normal"?
>>

> I'm seeing the same, with r41.1.
> I'm expecting I'll have to do connection pooling to mitigate it, which
> isn't much of a problem - you usually have to do that with most
> databases anyway, but it would be good to know whether or not these
> times are typical, or if they're indicative of something wrong.
>
> For me, it's 5 seconds connect time on a 2.3GHz Core II, and a full 20
> seconds on my EeePC (which is what I tend to use for development - so
> finding a way to speed it up would be really useful).
>
> Standalone vs Client / Server doesn't make much difference for me.
> I'm also on a 3.10 image - maybe it's worth trying 3.9 to see if that
> makes a difference.
>
> Regards,
> Stuart

Magma seasideHelper also includes a connection pool option, as used by
gjallar.

To be honest there are so many options I am not sure they have all been
tested. There are also some innovations I expected users to tell me
don't work. (e.g. automatic instance migration)

I always expected to keep a shared readOnly session alive for early user
browsing, and login validation. Which gives me time to fire up a full
session when they actually decide to buy something.

Keith