Magma Security (uid/pwd)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 19:54:29 UTC 2009

Hi Udo, I don't know what your security requirements are, but

  - protection of sensitive information?
  - protection from modification of objects?

Given the end-to-end argument, these things can sometimes be handled
well in the domain level.  We did this for a commercial application
I'm using, serialzing and encrypting sensitive objects into the
persistent model.  That way, even if the disk-packs get stolen (often
we hear of "stolen laptops with personal information") is still
secure.

Unfortunately, Magma does not provide its own authentication
mechanism.  I attempted a super-secure version of Magma a couple of
years ago by way of integration of the KryptOn crypto facade.
Unfortunately, after a year of working on it I got side-tracked to do
the multi-attribute queries.  Before I could return to the security, I
went to C5 and got fairly demoralized from comments regarding the
difficulty of implementing security.  That, and other priorities put
the security seriously on the back burner.

BUT, the issue is not dead by any means.  The ultimate goal for Magma
is to be able to run naked on the Net.

Until then, there are some simple password things that could be done
to take Magma from "completely open" to at least an illusory level of
security.  But I'm not willing to put anything into the base that
won't be a complete, water-tight, solution.

  - Chris