Newbie Questions

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 21:20:50 UTC 2009

2009/3/24 Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com>:
> Hi Igor, I think you may be right.  But can you elaborate a little?
>
> Over the last week or so, I developed a "SarBuilder2" which does all
> the hard work of making the complex object that is a SAR.  It
> calculates prereqs and determines the correct load order, and creates
> the load script and writes out the ZipArchive to a .sar file of your
> choosing.  Absolutely wonderful.
>
> One reason I like using "SAR" as my "Installer" because I sometimes
> need *objects*, not just code, to be brought into the object system.
>
> Still, I have had some positive exposure to "Installer" which,
> unfortunately, is not included with 3.9  :(.  I see it can load
> Monticellos, change-sets, SqueakMap packages, etc.  That's all great,
> but I guess SARInstaller can do that too, and its included with 3.9.

Well, the problem with SAR, that its a monolithinc file which contains
everything you need to install.
While with Installer you could provide a scripts, which can be easily
customized by user(s) for their own preference.

Suppose you write it in style like:

Installer magma install: 'MaClient'.

"This one is optional, comment it if you don't want it"
Installer magma install: 'MaTests'.

"This one is experimental, comment it if you don't want it"
Installer magma install: 'MaTrickyExperiment'.

and so on..

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.