Newbie Questions

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 24 22:26:13 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2009/3/24 Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi Igor, I think you may be right.  But can you elaborate a little?
>>
>> Over the last week or so, I developed a "SarBuilder2" which does all
>> the hard work of making the complex object that is a SAR.  It
>> calculates prereqs and determines the correct load order, and creates
>> the load script and writes out the ZipArchive to a .sar file of your
>> choosing.  Absolutely wonderful.
>>
>> One reason I like using "SAR" as my "Installer" because I sometimes
>> need *objects*, not just code, to be brought into the object system.
>>
>> Still, I have had some positive exposure to "Installer" which,
>> unfortunately, is not included with 3.9  :(.  I see it can load
>> Monticellos, change-sets, SqueakMap packages, etc.  That's all great,
>> but I guess SARInstaller can do that too, and its included with 3.9.
>>

> Well, the problem with SAR, that its a monolithinc file which contains
> everything you need to install.
> While with Installer you could provide a scripts, which can be easily
> customized by user(s) for their own preference.
>
> Suppose you write it in style.
> Installer magma install: 'MaClient'.

There is no need to define a new class for this, Installer magma should
really be implemented (if at all) as a shortcut to..

Installer-c-#magma

    ^ Installer ss project: 'Magma'.

see #lukas #keith goran squeaksource etc.

Installation of predefined options is performed by a line such as:

Installer install: 'MagmaClient'.

You can implement/publish scripts in...

InstallerScripts>>#MagmaClient  or
InstallerScripts>>#MagmaClientSqueak310 or
InstallerScripts>>#MagmaClientPharo01

e.g.

Installer ss project: 'Magma'
    install: '...a...';
    install: '...b...';
    yourself

If a user wants to customise the script he can simply copy and paste it
from there, into his personal image building script.

InstallerScripts is really only intended for the first load, whereas
Sake/Packages knows about what is loaded, and can perform upgrades, and
knows about loading #beta (the latest packages available)

gtg
Keith