r42 "not published yet"

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Wed Sep 9 06:03:10 UTC 2009

Trying to follow along with the installation instructions at
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657 I noticed some issues.

I was using http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.zip for
the image.

I followed the "Installing Magam for SqueakMap" instructions.
First, I doubt that a newbiew would be able to locate the squeak map
application.  I brought up an object browser, and even that listed to
squeak map objects (one was squeamap-ui).  So it might be useful to make
that a little more explicit.

Second, r42 was not in squeak map when I launched it.  It was after I
updated from the net, but again, the installation instructions don't say
anything about that.

Third, when I did to install the r42 release of magma tester, I got a
message that the code had not yet been published.

Finally, the description listed in the package loader for r42Final seem
off; they give release dates that precede the release of r42.  Or are
those release dates for Squeak?

In retrospect I suppose Monticello would have been a better choice; I
just did what was on the page first.

I'll kick off the test and see what happens; I'm on Debian Lenny which
has squeak-vm 3.10.3+svn1902.dfsg-1.  That's a bit before the known good
VM of 3.10-4.

Ross Boylan