r42 "not published yet"

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 14:47:36 UTC 2009

> I followed the "Installing Magam for SqueakMap" instructions.
> First, I doubt that a newbiew would be able to locate the squeak map
> application.  I brought up an object browser, and even that listed to
> squeak map objects (one was squeamap-ui).  So it might be useful to make
> that a little more explicit.
>
> Second, r42 was not in squeak map when I launched it.  It was after I
> updated from the net, but again, the installation instructions don't say
> anything about that.

Hi Ross, the Magma instructions target a particular audience.  A
concious choice was made to apply the level of detail you find there
to balance "instruction" for newbies with "flow" for experienced
readers.

For a newbie, the phrase "open a SqueakMap Package Loader" is believed
to be just effective enough for newbies with an exploratory nature.
In this case, a newbie who clicks anywhere on the desktop will be
presented with the World menu which has (drum roll please) "open..."
on it.  From there, "SqueakMap Package Loader" is the exact, correct
phraseology specified in the instructions.

It's true there may be users needing help to get that far, but then
perhaps they might need help getting Squeak launched?  Or even
installed?  But I doubt you would suggest the instructions for
installing Squeak belong on the Magma page.  So we agree the line must
be drawn *somewhere*.

> Third, when I did to install the r42 release of magma tester, I got a
> message that the code had not yet been published.

I'll consider publishing, but for now I want to reserve the right to
update r42Final in case any bugs emerge.

Regards,
  Chris