[ANN] Magma 1.2

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Mon May 2 01:44:09 UTC 2011

> I noticed that at the bottom of the page http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657 the link with text "Pharo1.2-load-magma.st" is http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/2657/Pharo1.1.2-load-magma.st. Note the "Pharo1.1.2"... was that intentional?

It's because the wiki keeps every version of every file ever uploaded
to the page.  The name of the first version of the link was the actual
filename, "http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/2657/Pharo1.2-load-magma.st".

But I had to upload a new version of that file, and the algorithm the
wiki follows is to assume the original file was in teh format,
"filename.txt" and it then makes it, "filename.1.txt" and begins to
increment that version number in the middle for all new versions going
forward.

Whew!  So, that's the answer to your question.

> Using TestRunner from the World Menu, I ran the tests for "Ma special collections-Dictionarys-Auto-Tests" and got the following:
> 104 run, 99 passes, 1 expected failures, 2 failures, 2 errors, 0 unexpected passes

The failed tests are all related to using nil as a key in the
dictionary which, to my knowledge, is not supported by any Dictionary
in Squeak and nor does Magma depend on storing anything at a nil key
in any Dictionary.

> In a Workspace window, I evaluated "MaClientServerTestCase suite maDebug" and got the following:
>        Could not connect to port, waiting... 1314.
>        Could not connect to port, waiting... 1314.
>        Could not connect to port, waiting... 1314.
>
> Until I stopped it using "cmd-period" on my Mac Book Pro.

I do not have access to a Mac.  That test suite works on Linux.

Those messages _are_ normal when the test starts up, but you should
have seen a lot more messages after that.

The MaClientServerTestCase fullSuite takes a total of 16 seconds to
run.  You will have 3 additional images spawned.

> I assume this is not standard behavior, and I don't know how to proceed from here to get Magma working in Pharo. I'm still learning Smalltalk/Pharo/Seaside and would really like to use Magma with it but have yet not been able to do so, despite trying the different ways to get Magma loaded (including Miguel Coba's ConfigurationOfMagma).
> Can you give me any suggestions?

Use the official installation scripts provided on the wiki page.

 - Chris