[ANN] Magma 1.2

Miguel Cobá miguel.coba at gmail.com
Mon May 2 16:13:02 UTC 2011

>  despite trying the different ways to get Magma loaded (including Miguel Coba's ConfigurationOfMagma).
> > Can you give me any suggestions?

Marco, I can't see the date of the original message you sent to Chris
but thanks to Chris Magma 1.2 runs now on Pharo 1.1 and Pharo 1.2 (I
only test on PharoCore images but aside from the problem with the
workspace that show up yesterday and that is a problem with OCompletion
and not with Magma, it shouldn't have any problem in Pharo Deve images).

So, if you tested with the test with the new version of
ConfigurationOfMagma announced on april 27, 2011 it should work
correctly on Pharo. If you have any problem with the installation please
post the details here so we can work them out.

> Use the official installation scripts provided on the wiki page.

Yes, use the official scripts if you're using Squeak. Also Chris has
made a big effort to bring from the dead SqueakMap that appears that is
the way to install things in Squeak again. But SqueakMap isn't anymore
in Pharo and won't be any time soon if ever.

But for Pharo we are pushing Metacello and you're expected to use the
ConfigurationOfMagma for installing on Pharo. As I said before if you
found a problem with the configuration please report it and I will take
care of this (if it is a problem of the configuration and if it is a
problem with Magma I will pass it to Chris, because most times they are
outside my knowledge and expertise).
I have a great interest in having Magma working in Pharo, the Pharo way
(that is with metacello) and I try to not bother Chris with problems in
the metacello config by trying to be alert for posts in the mailing list
related to the configuration so that he can focus on Magma per se. When
a new release is made I examine their scripts and translate them to a
new ConfigurationOfMagma release. This, I think, is the best arrange to
keep things going on in Magma and Pharo.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz