[Morphic] Re: chanllenges. Juan's new morphic

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 22:17:42 UTC 2006

--- Juan Vuletich <jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar>
wrote:

> Hi Jerome!

I meant I could not find cool ways to play with it
that didn't run into bugs or unimplemented features.

> > That said. The decomposition of morphs into
> location
> > and co-ordinate system seems promising.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > I tried putting some Testmorphs together. The
> > behaviour was odd.  Turning a morph with submorphs
> > left the submorphs stationary relative to the
> world.
> > This surprised me.
>
> The conversions between coordinates systems of
> nested morphs is not done
> yet. I know it's almost useless as it is. But I hate
> vaporware. I didn't
> want to say "Hey, I'm doing this and that, its cool.
> But you can't see it."

It really help to have the implementation in front of
me. I could answer several questions about locations
by just looking at the code. And I was amazed that the
coordinate system stuff was all handled by #drawon:.

> > In the full conception what are the locations
> relative
> > to? Their direct owners or the world?
>
> The locations are always relative to the direct
> owner. The idea is that is
> you embed a morph in another that has, for example,
> a cartographic like
> coordinate system, the first morph will look as in a
> real map.

Great! I thought that was the case from your earlier
description.

> > Picking up a morph would move its submorphs but
> > rotating a morph would not. The brown move handle
> > worked only for morphs owned by the world. Using
> them
> > on submorphs got a debug due to a DNU. The grab
> handle
> > worked for moving the submorphs relative to their
> (now
> > former) owner.  Dropping the morphs did seem to
> > reimbed them however.
>
> I know. The only that you can see on this version is
> TestMorph>>drawOn: on
> it's own coordinate system, without a mechanism for
> handling rotation (as in
> PolygonMorph) or an external transformation (as in
> general flexed Morphs).
>
> > So at this stage what kind of encouragement/help
> are
> > you looking for?
>
> I know there is not much to look at, but If you'd
> like to think a bit on the
> way to model locations and coordinate systems, and
> tell discuss about
> alternatives, etc., that would be cool. The main
> idea is that a coordinate
> system together with it's location in some container
> specify a
> transformation to/from the container's coordinate
> system. And I want this to
> work with any 2d coordinate systems: Cartesian,
> Polar, various cartographic,
> logarithmic, hyperbolic, etc. I also want to make
> easy to move, scale or
> rotate any morph, that's the reason for the ivars in
> Locations. But, am I
> right on the ideas? Is this a good design?

I like the concepts of the design. And could end the
problems with the transformation morph redering. It is
a good experiment.

I need to think deeper about some design issues before
I comment on them.

> Soon I'll fix nested morph, and clean the
> translation to the world
> coordinates. Then, I'll implement some sample
> coordinate systems to play
> with. Then is when it will be cool to play with.

My curiosity will provide an enthusiastic audience.

> Perhaps I should write a bit more about the
> objectives, so you or anyone can
> help with code too.

Let me encourage you to do this. My experience has
been that a short clear consice statement (or story)
of goals clarifys thinking and speeds and inspires
implementation. (When I hit a snag in implementation I
flow from that.)

>From the story the implementation seems to write
itself.