[Morphic] Do morphs have locations or do locations have morphs? (longish reply to Matthew)

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 22:36:20 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:29:38AM -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> Matthew, could you elaborate a bit on "jiggly morphs" and 2.5 D? Aren't
> we in 2.5D?

For "jiggly morphs", I am thinking of the quite visially
appealing non-linear transformations used in Beryl:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_%28window_manager%29
Of the videos on the subject, this one demonstrates the effect
the most succintly: (warning! sound!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FeXVUz5nD4&NR=1
Most of that would be possible with a modied coordinate system,
but some of it would require a warped GL surface.

For 2.5d, I am thinking of something like Merlin, where Morphs
are 2-d entities, but exist as camera-facing sprites in a 3-d
world (dormant project; no good screenshots)
http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/gui.html
or, croquet, where 2-d entities have location and orientation in
a 3-d island:
http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/Screenshots