[Morphic] Do morphs have locations or do locations have morphs? (longish reply to Matthew)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sun Jun 24 23:13:07 UTC 2007

Hi Matthew,

Matthew Fulmer escribió:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:29:38AM -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
>> Matthew, could you elaborate a bit on "jiggly morphs" and 2.5 D? Aren't
>> we in 2.5D?
>>

> For "jiggly morphs", I am thinking of the quite visially
> appealing non-linear transformations used in Beryl:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_%28window_manager%29
> Of the videos on the subject, this one demonstrates the effect
> the most succintly: (warning! sound!)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FeXVUz5nD4&NR=1
> Most of that would be possible with a modied coordinate system,
> but some of it would require a warped GL surface.

This kind of stuff could be done in Morphic 3. But performance won't be
good until we go to OpenGL or such.
> For 2.5d, I am thinking of something like Merlin, where Morphs
> are 2-d entities, but exist as camera-facing sprites in a 3-d
> world (dormant project; no good screenshots)
> http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/gui.html

This is cool. But Morphic 3 is just 2d with zOrder. (This is usually
called 2.5d). So, It won't be possible.
> or, croquet, where 2-d entities have location and orientation in
> a 3-d island:
> http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/Screenshots

Yes, but for a full 3d environment, we have croquet, don't we?

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich