[Newcompiler] [AST] Comments from RBParser

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 4 23:26:57 UTC 2006

Sorry Math. I confused you with the guy working on the Gutenberg pretty printer,
that was why I mentioned the Dolphin formatter.

> But the question is do we continue to maintaine RBParser or make our
> SqueakParser compatible with RB so we can "removed" RBParser(make it as
>  an interface like Parser2)?

It would be best to have a single parser which serves all the things that need
to parse.
Then there is just one parser to maintain.

> And I know that you have your parser to for shout...

There is no reason why Shout couldn't use a Smacc parser, or RB or something
else. The main reason it has a separate parser is because Shout doesn't need a
parse tree, all it needs is a sequence of token ranges. Producing a tree, only
to discard it, slows down the dynamic nature of Shout (since the coloring
updates on every keystroke). When I wrote the Shout parser, I wasn't familiar
with Smacc, and attempts at modifying/subclassing the Squeak parser were
unsuccessful. Hence the separate Shout parser. But a Smacc parser that produced
a token sequence (no tree) would be better.

> What do you think?

I think that we have too many parsers ;)
But we are definately moving in the right direction, and hopefully things will
become unified in the future.

Cheers,
Andy