[Newcompiler] Trouble loading NewCompiler.

Marcus Denker denker at acm.org
Sat Nov 14 09:28:42 UTC 2009

On Nov 14, 2009, at 8:13 AM, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> Hi NewCompiler people.
>
> I'm having a bit of trouble loading NewCompiler into my main Squeak-3.10.2 development image.

I never tried 3.10, but as the changes between 3.9 and 3.10 where not that, uhm, numerous, I don't think that there should be any problem.

> There are errors popping up such as Syntax Error, and MessageNotUnderstood in MCMethodDefinition. I can fix each error, but it's a pain and a waste of time.

one thing that could be is that when recompiling the image that there are some spourios dots.

> Can I assume that Squeak images are not supported and that I should probably try a Pharo image instead? Or is Squeak meant to be supported and this is an oversight?

The story is a bit complex due to the closure changes (of Eliot) integrated in Pharo.

-> the original sytem I used the newcompiler on was 3.9.  Never bothered with 3.10

-> When looking at the newcompiler again after the phd, I used Pharo, but that was before closures. The Pharo version needed is therefore very old
    and it does not really make sense to use that, I guess.

-> We are working on getting the newcompiler to work on Pharo with Eliot's closures.
	(the plan is to integrate the newcompiler into Pharo as the main and only compiler. I always was skeptical because this includes commitment
        (time) to make it really nice. And I was reluctant to commit to that with it being done in my sparetime. But that now changed with a new Job :-)

     I am not opposed to work with anyone who wants to put in work to keep it the compiler working on Squeak. But I myself will not do this.

-> The "NewCompilerLoader" has a "loadSqueak" method. This should work on 3.9, but I have not tried lately. I will check soon if there are any
    problems.

	Marcus

Marcus Denker  --  denker at acm.org
http://www.marcusdenker.de