[News] Fwd: Re: Common Smalltalk VM Summit

Giovanni Giorgi jj at objectsroot.com
Wed Nov 15 21:59:25 UTC 2006

I completly lost that news and I'd like to
interview someone...perhaps you?
I am away this week but I will be back at Monday night so...if you
have some throughts please share it with the news mailing list and
then we can set up a couple of questions for Ingalls too ;)

On 15/nov/06, at 13:09, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> [...]
>> Strongtalk VM
>> are arcane, the benefits are not: *much* higher performance for
>> general
>> Smalltalk code.  Dan, myself, and many others who know about type-
>> feedback
>> and the pioneering Self system, have been dreaming for many years
>> about the
>> possibility that someday this technology might make it into
>> mainstream
>> Smalltalk VMs.  It would take Smalltalk performance to a whole new
>> level.
>
> Which I'd love to see. On a somewhat-related but tangential note, has
> anybody done any experimental porting of Exupery to ARM (ARM11,
> specifically) CPUs?
>
>>  That someday is here now, if the different factions within the
>> Smalltalk
>> community can pull together a little bit so that we don't miss this
>> opportunity.
>
> As a developer interested in using Smalltalk in a commercial product,
> this would be greatly beneficial to not only myself, but surely many
> others as well.
>
>>  There may be debate within the community about some aspects of the
>> Strongtalk project, for example the type system, but we should all
>> be able
>> to agree on the simple idea that a whole lot more performance
>> would be a
>> Good Thing.  Now a huge performance gift has suddenly shown up on our
>> doorstep.
>>  The last thing Smalltalk needs is another incompatible
>> implementation.  The
>> splintering of Smalltalk implementations has dispersed the huge
>> amount of
>> talent and effort needed to build, port, maintain, and extend a
>> really good
>> virtual-machine.  Alone, this is a problem for each of us.
>> Together, a
>> really good, super-fast type-feedback VM is for the first time
>> within reach.
>
> Agreed! And the BSD license is quite permissive and flexible, to boot.
>>  I would like to invite the smart people out there who know and
>> care most
>> about the various Smalltalk virtual machines, to join Dan and I in
>> a fairly
>> focused discussion about this starting tomorrow (Thursday, PST) on
>> the
>> Strongtalk discussion group, at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/strongtalk-general.  I will be out
>> of the
>> country for 6 weeks starting Wed the 11th, so I would like to
>> propose that
>> we try to go back and forth about this a few times by the end of
>> Friday, so
>> we can think about this over the weekend, and maybe come up with a
>> proposed
>> general course of action by the middle of next week, so we all have
>> something to think about until my return.

    [   [  [ JJ ]  ]   ]  | Wondering whether a machine can think is
http://www.siforge.org   |  -- From someone's .sig