SqueakSource with diff generation

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Wed Aug 10 04:48:49 UTC 2005

Ok, here's my current progress, I've only been working on this
sporadically.

I'm able to get a SqueakSource image loaded with Bert's packages (with
tweaks), and mostly working, but the diff-file generation doesn't work
in this image, either.  Basically pretty similar to what we have
running now, I guess. :|

There's two main problems I'm running into:

1. This SqueakSource (SS) setup is based on Squeak 3.7, but the version
of Monticello (bf.254) in Bert's package list is not compatible with
3.7.  (avi.231 is not compatible with 3.7 either.)  If you load either
of these versions in 3.7, loading .mcz files no longer works.  I came
up with a quick hack which seems to fix it (see attached changeset),
but it causes other problems with loading regular changesets.

2. The diff-file (.mcd) generation hangs in the SS image.  Well, it
doesn't hang the SS image, it just doesn't send back a http response.
Requesting any file ending in .mcd seems to do this, other files are
either found or return a "not found" error.  I haven't really dug into
this yet.  I don't think this is related to problem #1 but who knows...

I think the missing link here may be the "SystemFixes-bf.1" package
from Bert's list, which is not available anywhere that I can find... I
think it may be a few key fixes in a private package. :)

Anyway, if anyone wants to set up a mostly-working SqueakSource image
to get to the exact same point that I'm at now, here are the steps you
can follow:  (I will post these to the swiki once it's all working,
since there seems to be a lack of SqueakSource how-tos out there)

- Start with a fresh 3.7-5989-basic image.
- Load these packages in roughly this order.  (These are from Bert's
working configuration... they are available on SqueakMap or on
source.impara.de.)
   - DynamicBindings-gk.1.mcz
   - KomServices-gk.2.mcz
   - PackageInfo-Base-bf.22.mcz
   - Monticello-bf.254.mcz
   - Install my SimpleServicesHack-dew changeset (attached to this
email), to allow additional .mcz files to load
   - KomHttpServer-gk.6.mcz
   - Seaside2-avi.86.mcz
   - Mewa-al.13.mcz
   - TinyWiki-lr.10.mcz
   - SqueakSource-bf.146.mcz
   - MonticelloConfigurations-bf.26.mcz
   - TweakMC-bf.11.mcz   (not needed? seems to be only Tweak-related)
- run the first few lines of code in SSRepository class>>initialize
- change SSRepository class>>startUp to include
'http://localhost:9090/' as the RootUrl.
- execute "SSRepository startUp" in a workspace
- open any web browser on http://localhost:9090.  SqueakSource works...
hooray!

To continue with more serious testing:
- add a new Member for yourself via squeaksource web browser ui
- open an inspector on "SSRepository current" in the image, drill down
to members/(your id) and set your superuser flag to true.
- create a new project via the squeaksource web ui, and try saving new
versions of a package to the project, seems to work.
- getting files directly e.g.
http://localhost:9090/dougsproj/Kernel-dew.1.mcz  works.
- getting a diff file e.g.
http://localhost:9090/dougsproj/Kernel-md.5%28dew.1%29.mcd  doesn't