[Release] 3.11 liaison change

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 2 16:28:50 UTC 2009

Andreas,

sorry this is not an acceptable excuse, your proposal directly competes
with my work. My work is primarily the development of a philosophical
ideal, its not about a single image. I was looking forward to your
support and assistence, not your competition.

3.11 as accepted by the board was a proposal to work towards "A new
process for squeak development" for the whole community of squeak users,
and aiming to be inclusive for all forks of squeak.

What you have just proposed amounts to the same thing, "a process for
squeak development for the community at large", as you say not just the
release team.

So now we have a your proposal to manage things with MC, before we have
even reorganised the image to be in approprate packages. That is one of
the goals of 3.11 to perform that reorganisation. Hopefully allowing
modules to be managed outside of the code, with better defined interfaces.

Until then I have proposed that automating submission testing via Mantis
is the way forward, and I know you have worked out how that is supposed
to work. So I don't understand what you mean about being confused as to
how to contribute.

So the board has to decide whether or not it supports managing changes
to the kernel in mantis, or in some MC repo, according to an
organisation that doesnt yet exist.

So at this point in time, we are competely hosed.

People following you will start contributing random stuff to some new
repo that you have created without any discussion, or explanation. You
have just instituted a new entity, that of "core-dev", some mythical
future beast that is in charge of deciding what goes in and out of the
image, and we are back to square one.

Let me reiterate, your excuse that this is for the squeak community
accross the board, doesn't wash because that is exactly what 3.11 new
process is designed for.

Keith