[Release] 3.11 liaison change

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Jul 2 16:38:44 UTC 2009

Keith Hodges wrote:
>> And, by definition a coup d'etat is "is the sudden
> Yes sudden... all I saw was two messages yesterday announcing "THE new
> process" not even "A" new process.

This is an odd thing to say. Check the title of the blog post, check the
title of the email message.

>>> What is the release at lists.squeakfoundation.org for?
>>>
>>> I give you a clue.... discussing things that are relevant to the release
>>> team.
>> What I've been proposing is intended for the community at large, not
>> for the (much smaller) release team. That's why I've posted on
>> Squeak-dev.
> We have mantis for the community at large, how about encouraging people
> to use it.

Which I have done, have I not? Over and over.

> You confuse technical problems with people problems. I am talking about
> causing people problems.
>
> Management problem... announcing to Squeak-dev new proposals without
> consulting the people that this effects.

I felt that the people who this affects is the Squeak community,
generally represented on Squeak-dev. That's where I posted to consult
people about the idea.

>> Now that I would disagree with ;-) The community at large had problems
>> contributing.
> The community at large isnt being encouraged to volunter and discuss
> their potential contributions on release or irc.

Well, I certainly feel like having done my share here. My conclusion
from doing it was that the process is wrong, too different from what
people know in real software development, too complex, too weird, too
many steps.

>> Yes, you and Matthew did contribute, but except from you two nobody
>> understood how. As you will remember I've tried several time to
>> explain what I thought the contribution process is but it's way to
>> complex for people to easily contribute.
> You explained it to people, I have seen you... so why do you say it is
> too dificult now.

I always felt it was too difficult. But I did not want to discourage
others by saying so openly. It would not have been helpful and early on
I hadn't seen enough to know whether this may work or not. But having
seen the process for many months now, failing despite best attempts to
document and publicize it, I feel it's time to move forward and try one
of the processes that actually do work in commercial software development.

Cheers,
   - Andreas