[Release] Proposal

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 8 13:18:43 UTC 2009

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 7/8/09 5:51 AM, "Keith Hodges" <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> and you can leave the unloading until later.
>>
> So we continue in the same point as two years ago.
> Or we cooperate,
Dear Edgar I have been inviting you to co-operate for over two years.
>  or we do each own fork.
>
> I have mine working ...

Which is useful to you but not to anyone else. If you were to take your
knowledge an put it in a place that it is useful to others too, that
would be great. For example I attempted to take your knowledge on how to
unload Nebraska and I added it to Sake/Packages.

Sake/Packages allows us to define clearly what works where, and what is
needed to unload things from where.
If you load Sake/Packages with Installer install: 'Packages' you can
look for senders of #unload:
> What part of hitting the load updates button for any squeaker could see his
> number changes from nnnn to higher
Why would any squeaker want to push the updates button and have
something that they didn't want to happen happen? You cant just unload
packages from someone's image using the updates button. Why not let the
user choose what happens to their image?
>  and some fixes and enhancement goes to
> his/her image your disagree ?

Totally disagree. We want to write down a clear specification and design
of what the release is to look like and to deliver that deliverable. The
updates button, puts everyones image into an uncertain state, and there
is no going back.

Squeak is in such a mess that we need to take parts, break them and
remake them. For example, removing RemoteString and replaceing changes
and changesets is an engineering task, that needs to be planned
implemented and executed. It is not possible using the updates button,
so please lets just retire the updates button as a non starter.

I have never ever used the updates button before, and I don't see that
it has any use, apart from potentially breaking an image.

Keith