[Release] Philosophical Discussion - The updates button is useless - discuss

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jul 8 18:59:00 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2009/7/8 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
>> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>> Except that it could have different sense for core developers vs
>>> endusers(stable image users).
>> In practice it always comes down to two uses: For active development there
>> is a main code base that you sync against (trunk development). For a
>> released version you want to get certain fixes that have been blessed for
>> your version (release maintenance).
>>

> Right, and in case if we have multiple releases, say 3.11, 3.12, 3.13 and so on,
> and in parallel, we could have, say 3.11-withClosures , 3.12-withClosures ...
> and fix is blessed only for images with closure support - we need a
> clever tool which can deliver this fix only to those images and ignore
> it for the rest.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. We don't need a clever tool since
what you are describing is the very nature of incremental updates. The
update stream for example, had sections for each version. What I've been
proposing was a series of update.mcms in each repository. So if you're
on 3.11 (release) you update from http://source.squeak.org/Squeak311 if
you're on 3.12 (release) you update from
http://source.squeak.org/Squeak312 and if you're a developer you update
from http://source.squeak.org/trunk. There neither is nor should there
be any cleverness in the process, only predictability.

Cheers,
   - Andreas