[Release] Philosophical Discussion - The updates button is useless - discuss

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 19:14:41 UTC 2009

2009/7/8 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> In practice it always comes down to two uses: For active development
>>> there
>>> is a main code base that you sync against (trunk development). For a
>>> released version you want to get certain fixes that have been blessed for
>>> your version (release maintenance).
>>>

>> Right, and in case if we have multiple releases, say 3.11, 3.12, 3.13 and
>> so on,
>> and in parallel, we could have, say 3.11-withClosures , 3.12-withClosures
>> and fix is blessed only for images with closure support - we need a
>> clever tool which can deliver this fix only to those images and ignore
>> it for the rest.
>
> I'm not sure what you're saying here. We don't need a clever tool since what
> you are describing is the very nature of incremental updates. The update
> stream for example, had sections for each version. What I've been proposing
> was a series of update.mcms in each repository. So if you're on 3.11
> (release) you update from http://source.squeak.org/Squeak311 if you're on
> 3.12 (release) you update from http://source.squeak.org/Squeak312 and if
> you're a developer you update from http://source.squeak.org/trunk. There
> neither is nor should there be any cleverness in the process, only
> predictability.

Good.
Now think, a third party maintains own set of mutated stuff, based on
3.12 + extra stuff.
Obviously a user of such image , by pressing an 'update' button wants
to get an update in 3.12 branch + extra stuff updates.
What you think, is such approach makes sense?
Because if not, then answer is: hey pal, use own fork.
But if it is, then answer: hey pal, no need to fork , you can keep
going with an 'official' release + own stuff.

> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.