[Release] Philosophical Discussion - The updates button is useless - discuss

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 09:24:33 UTC 2009

2009/7/9 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> Hi Igor -
>
> This discussion is extremely frustrating for me because I have no idea what
> you are trying to achieve in it. It feels to me that you want to prove some
> particular point but I don't know what that point is. Consequently we end up
> discussing grotesque corner cases that won't ever occur in any practical
> situation (like your 1000 users example - do you really think that there
> wouldn't be 2 or 3 who'd work together to provide a unified stream?). And
> that's an utter waste of our time for both of us.
>
> So, in short, what exactly is the point you are trying to make? And if you
> don't have any particular point, can we please move on to more relevant
> matters? This discussion has exhausted me.

I tried to show how Sake/Tasks could be used as in an 'update stream'
fashion. Mainly: a group of developers
providing a number of contributions in various set of
packages/changesets/other forms, and then package Czar makes them
available for a 'single-click' update through (re)writing a loader
configuration. So, all what MC does for us is (re)loads this
configuration and then running it. The rest is determined by this
config - written by Czar: what you need to load, in what order, what
need remove or what to add etc.
This is much more flexible, i think, than using MCM configurations.
But if i'm wrong - please correct me.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.