[Release] Philosophical Discussion - The updates button is useless - discuss

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Jul 10 03:33:29 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> I tried to show how Sake/Tasks could be used as in an 'update stream'
> fashion. Mainly: a group of developers
> providing a number of contributions in various set of
> packages/changesets/other forms, and then package Czar makes them
> available for a 'single-click' update through (re)writing a loader
> configuration. So, all what MC does for us is (re)loads this
> configuration and then running it. The rest is determined by this
> config - written by Czar: what you need to load, in what order, what
> need remove or what to add etc.
> This is much more flexible, i think, than using MCM configurations.
> But if i'm wrong - please correct me.

My main issue with this discussion is that you're discussing it as if
our main problem were lack of flexibility in the update process. But
that's not the problem we're having - the problem we're having is that
we had no functioning update process whatsoever!

I'll be the first to admit that there are situations that can be painful
with MCMs. And we'll have these. And once we see what they are and what
we need to do to address the problems we can see how to improve the
process. But unless you provide a practical alternative, discussing the
theoretical shortcomings of MCMs doesn't bring us forward. If all you
want to say is that MCMs indeed have shortcomings, I'll concede that
point right away. But now what? Go back to have no solution again?

If you want to propose a solution, let's look at it in practice. Write
an update script that *actually* loads everything from trunk. Then let's
compare the two approaches and discuss the differences and similarities
in context.

Cheers,
   - Andreas