[Release] Philosophical Discussion - The updates button is useless - discuss

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Jul 10 05:11:14 UTC 2009

Keith Hodges wrote:
> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>> I tried to show how Sake/Tasks could be used as in an 'update stream'
>>> fashion. Mainly: a group of developers
>>> providing a number of contributions in various set of
>>> packages/changesets/other forms, and then package Czar makes them
>>> available for a 'single-click' update through (re)writing a loader
>>> configuration. So, all what MC does for us is (re)loads this
>>> configuration and then running it. The rest is determined by this
>>> config - written by Czar: what you need to load, in what order, what
>>> need remove or what to add etc.
>>> This is much more flexible, i think, than using MCM configurations.
>>> But if i'm wrong - please correct me.
>> My main issue with this discussion is that you're discussing it as if
>> our main problem were lack of flexibility in the update process. But
>> that's not the problem we're having - the problem we're having is that
>> we had no functioning update process whatsoever!
> I once attended an undergraduate workshop in which teams were each given
> a pile of jigsaw pieces. However the adjudicator did say that we
> determined what the rules of the exercise were. After a lot of time, we
> realised that this meant that we got to decide what was relevant or not
> in the exercise. We could decide not to bother with the jigsaw pieces
> and we could all go for a beer.

Great idea, I think you should have that beer. While you're having it
the rest of us can solve the update puzzle. Obviously you have no
interest in the problem, so why don't you leave it to people who'd like
to solve it? Your non-constructive role in this discussion is not
appreciated.

Thanks,
   - Andreas