[Release] Philosophical Discussion - The updates button is useless - discuss

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 10 08:36:09 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Keith Hodges wrote:
>> Andreas Raab wrote:
>>> My main issue with this discussion is that you're discussing it as if
>>> our main problem were lack of flexibility in the update process. But
>>> that's not the problem we're having - the problem we're having is that
>>> we had no functioning update process whatsoever!
>> I once attended an undergraduate workshop in which teams were each given
>> a pile of jigsaw pieces. However the adjudicator did say that we
>> determined what the rules of the exercise were. After a lot of time, we
>> realised that this meant that we got to decide what was relevant or not
>> in the exercise. We could decide not to bother with the jigsaw pieces
>> and we could all go for a beer.
>
> Great idea, I think you should have that beer. While you're having it
> the rest of us can solve the update puzzle. Obviously you have no
> interest in the problem, so why don't you leave it to people who'd
> like to solve it? Your non-constructive role in this discussion is not
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>   - Andreas
I am just asking the relevant question, why do you need an update in the
firstplace? Who needs it and what for?

I am not being non-constructive, I am letting you know that we have
already had this conversation, and the solution proposed was not to use
the updates mechanism, or at least not until you have a finished product
to deliver.

Keith