[Release] Philosophical Discussion - The updates button is useless - discuss

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Jul 10 16:36:43 UTC 2009

Keith Hodges wrote:
> I am just asking the relevant question, why do you need an update in the
> firstplace? Who needs it and what for?

I have asked this question in the past, I'll ask it again: Have you ever
worked in an environment where multiple people have worked together on
the same project/product? If you have, how have you synchronized the
changes between the developers?

There's your answer. When developers work together they need a way of
syncing their code base quickly. Updating from a set of packages does
just that. It is common practice in every software project that I am
aware of, regardless whether you use MC or SVN. In SVN every day begins
with an "svn update" to ensure you see what's changed. In MC every day
begins with a "MCPackageBrowser updateAllLoadedPackages" (as it's called
at Qwaq).

Cheers,
   - Andreas