[Seaside-dev] Contributing bug fixes in Seaside

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 17:50:17 UTC 2007

2007/12/9, Jimmie Houchin <j.squeak at cyberhaus.us>:
> Philippe Marschall wrote:
> >> [snip]

> >> I posted a message to the squeak-dev list. They (Keith) submitted and
> >> fixed a bug on Mantis. Should take care of it for future versions of 3.10.
> >
> > Thanks, that saved us the work.
>
> Your welcome. When you pointed that out. I just wanted it fixed in the
> right place.
>
> >> I have committed to the repository reverting the changes. I didn't see a
> >> way to remove the previous commit.
> >
> > There is no need to post a commit that does a revert of the last
> > commit. Monticello has no concept of HEAD/Trunk. We simply wouldn't
> > have used your version as ancestor. What however would have been a
> > bigger problem if we merged it is that the ancestor of one of your
> > versions Seaside2.8a1-jlh.534 is not in the repository.
>
> Ok. So you or Lukas would have just ignored my previous commit and based
> your future commits on a different version. That works.
>
> In this case Seaside2.8a1-jlh.534 and Seaside2.8a1-jlh.535 are
> absolutely identical. The first was the commit to my personal
> repository, the second to the squeaksource one. I was kind of surprised
> when Monticello gave the second "save" a different number.

In this case the 'Copy' function is what you want. It allows you to
copy a version from one repository to an other.

> I still have much to learn about using Monticello.

Monticello is a very Smalltalk tool, very powerful once you got the
hang of it and can make any sense of the GUI.

> This has been a good learning experience for me. What the community
> wants for fixes. Issues between different Squeak versions.

In general we try to run all all the recent Squeak versions. That is
not always possible and sometimes we have to introduce hacks
(WAKomEncoded39, SeasideSqueak37). Keep in mind that code should not
only work in Squeak but also in GemStone and Cincom Smalltalk. If
unsure about behavior ask on this list. A test to document your
assumptions about the underlying platform certainly can hurt as well
(WAPlatformTest).