[Seaside-dev] Seaside 2.8 release planning

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 18:01:46 UTC 2007

Hi

With http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6497 fixed the last blocker of
Seaside 2.8 is gone as far as I'm concered. Personally I'm very happy
how the beta phase went. Most of the bugs where either long standing
(2.7 or even earlier) or only minor. This and the amount for
production action Seaside 2.8 has already seen makes me quite
confident. All the comments of Roger Whitney are more than a bonus.
There are now two left which would be nice if we have them fixed but
are not critical as far as I'm concerned:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6490
Someone should confirm this is fixed.

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6527
I don't consider this critical. It affects only the url which is first
displayed when a new session is created. #initialRequest and
#updateUrl: still work and any following "page" will have the
paramters.

On Squeak we also plan to releas compatible versions of:
- Scriptaculous
- Comet
- RSRSS2

On Squeak the release will probably work as follows:
 * prepare the announcement mail with exact Monticello version numbers
 * contact Damien for upgrade on Universes. This probably will be
bigger because it means that Seaside 2.8 moves from web development
beta and the other packages will have to be updated as well
 * update Seaside Installer on SqueakMap
 * send the mail

So it comes down to how the porters see this. How confident are you
about the stability of your ports? How much time do you need once we
say which Monticello version it will be until you have your ports
updated?