[Seaside-dev] Seaside 2.9 status report

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 12:35:44 UTC 2008

Hi

Yesterday I was sitting together with Lukas to work on Seaside 2.9.
One of the more important results is that made progress on the module
naming conventions.

The modules are named like this:

Module-Package
Module-Platform-Package

Common modules are:

Module-Core: The main implementation classes
Module-Tests: Tests
Module-Examples: Examples
Module-Squeak-Core: Squeak specific code, in general needed to make
Module-Core work

Eg.

Scripaculous-Core
Scripaculous-Tests
Scripaculous-Examples
Scripaculous-Squeak-Core

Packages that do not have -Platform- in them are supposed to be
portable without any change. No more need to filter class categories
or class extensions with -Platform for -Squeak and injecting your own
code. This means once you implemented Module-YourPlatform-Core
updating to the latest Seaside version should only be loading
Module-Core. We hope this will not only make ports easier but also
make their maintenance less resource intensive and result in more up
to date ports.

If you look at the repository is currently not yet fully done, we'll fix this.

During this process we moved Continuation to the Squeak implementation
package because only one platform (Cincom Smallalk) has the same
implementation, the others (Dolphin and Gemstone) have a different
one. And we removed Amb since nobody ever used it.

We also made good progress on supporting multibyte characters on the
Squeak/Kom streaming server adapter and Comet.

Finally we're looking into having a simple email class that provides a
minimal abstraction so you don't have to concatenate Strings
php-style. We know that to a certain extent this will duplicate what
is already present on certain platform. We can't use the Squeak code
because of the license. This is likely to be a separate module. So the
question is whether someone is willing to donate code under MIT. If
not we'll do something simple that probably won't support multipart
messages and attachments.