[Seaside-dev] When is Symbol>>#= not Symbol>>#==?

John O'Keefe wembley.instantiations at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 17:00:13 UTC 2008

I have been getting failures in my port of the JSJson tests (example, self
assert: (self parse: 'True') = 'True').  These failures were a bit of a
mystery to me since on VA Smalltalk "self parse: 'True'" answers a Symbol,
not a String.  But on delving into Squeak, all is now clear -- it answers a
Symbol there also!

The problem is that on the other platforms I am familiar with (VA Smalltalk,
VW and Dolphin), an equality test on Symbols is an identity test.  But on
Squeak, it isn't -- So "#abc' = 'abc'" answers true on Squeak and false on
VA/VW/Dolphin.

At this point I don't know if I have a general porting issue (which might
explain some of the strange errors I get) or simply a porting issue with the
JSJson tests.

Have any of the Seaside porters run into this incompatibility before?

John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.