[Seaside-dev] tasks without flow

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 04:02:50 UTC 2009

I was talking to Lukas today about the fact that VA Smalltalk ports
Flow even though they don't have continuations. The reason, of course,
is that they want to have Tasks. It seemed like Tasks ought to work
fine with just #show:onAnswer: so I thought I'd try to pull Tasks back
into the Component and RenderLoop packages.

But, I ran into an issue: #show: and #show:onAnswer: do not signal a
RenderNotification, which means #go returns immediately, which causes
the Task to answer immediately.

I feel that they should signal the notification, but people may (?) be
counting on the method returning, particularly if calling it from Ajax
requests. We could add some other selector that doesn't signal the
notification?

Thoughts?