[Seaside-dev] tasks without flow

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 07:02:12 UTC 2009

> But, I ran into an issue: #show: and #show:onAnswer: do not signal a
> RenderNotification, which means #go returns immediately, which causes
> the Task to answer immediately.

I think the behavior of #show: and #show:onAnswer: is correct. It is
documented as non-blocking and useful even in a world with
continuations, for instance to perform multiple calls in one request.
I know of quite some code that depends on this behavior (especially in
the AJAX world, but not only).

> I feel that they should signal the notification, but people may (?) be
> counting on the method returning, particularly if calling it from Ajax
> requests. We could add some other selector that doesn't signal the
> notification?

I think there is rather something wrong with WATask. Maybe it should
not loop? Alternatively I would just say that people have to throw the
render notification themselves, when they use #show: to tell the
system when they want the rendering to happen.

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch