[Seaside-dev] Re: seaside sources ....

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 07:40:36 UTC 2009

Hi James,

I like to think the Seaside community is generally pretty welcoming,
so I'm a little surprised by the strength of the response you
received.

That said, I'm equally confused by your opinion on the difficulty of
obtaining source code. And your statement that this is one of the
reasons you are building a new Smalltalk (or at least the tone that
comes across) suggests an alarming amount of frustration with what
seems like a very simple task: getting the source is just a matter of
downloading it. There are Seaside users all over the world and every
single one of them has a copy of the source.

The latest Seaside 3.0 alpha can be installed by picking from a list
on VA Smalltalk and VisualWorks and it's not so hard to download an
install script for Squeak/Pharo. The stable version 2.8 is available
as a one-click downloadable image on the website. All of these would
provide easy access to source. Presumably if you are planning on
porting Seaside, you have (or at least plan to have) a Seaside image
somewhere...? You're going to need some process to bring in code more
than once if you want to have bugfixes, etc.

If we're all misunderstanding the issues you are having, though, I do
hope you'll try again to explain.