[Seaside-dev] merging Platform and Core

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 23:43:55 UTC 2009

We have just reached a point where we could, if we want, merge the Platform
and Core packages.

We originally had to do the split because Seaside-Core required the two
globals WADynamicVariable and SeasidePlatformSupport to exist and these were
defined by platform-specific packages. Neither of these are an issue any
longer. If we merge them, we would have to commit to not introducing similar
problems in the future. In other words, if we add new things to Core with
platform-specific implementations, we need to make sure they have a generic
implementation as well. I think this is a good policy anyway.

Lukas and I discussed this briefly this afternoon and wondered whether there
is any value to keeping some of the non-Seaside-specific platform stuff in a
separate package that could be used as a compatibility layer for Pier and
Magritte (they apparently now duplicate much of WAObject and WAPlatform). We
would probably move WACodec and maybe a few other things up to Core and
leave the rest in Platform. I'm a bit torn on this because it would suck if
all kinds of projects ended up using WAPlatform and that ended up making it
hard for us to change it the way *we* want.

Other than that case, there seems little reason to keep them separate. I
can't think of any other reason that somebody would want to load Platform
and not Core.

Am I forgetting/missing anything? Shall we merge them or not?