[Seaside-dev] merging Platform and Core

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 06:42:53 UTC 2009

2009/2/4 Julian Fitzell <jfitzell at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Philippe Marschall
> <philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2009/2/4 Julian Fitzell <jfitzell at gmail.com>:
>> > Shall we merge them or not?
>>
>> Pier and Magritte would be good reason not to do it. And honestly if I
>> have to write protable code I use WAPlatform ;-)
>
> Ok, so then we need to define what should actually be in that Package. So
> far we've just been putting stuff in there as it gets pulled in by
> load-order dependencies. Does WACodec belong in there? What about
> WADelayedSend? WAPrinter? All of these things are useful utilities that
> could *possibly* be useful to some other package but they're not really part
> of a basic compaibility platform.

Right, good question:
WAPrinter: yes
WADelayedSend: yes because AFAIK Pier/Magritte currently use MessageSend
WACodec: in theory yes, I don't know of a potential concrete user so
either way will work

> WAError and WAObject could be useful I suppose but one of the things we
> wanted with WAObject was to be able to add methods to it for all Seaside
> objects and without worrying about name conflicts. If Pier and Magritte and
> everything are going to subclass WAObject too, then that is no longer an
> appropriate place to do that.

The problem is even worse becuase Magritte (I think) and Pier also add
root component classes that add methods. We also must not get a
conflict on them. So I think it's ok to say that if you use WAObject
then you have to make sure you get no conflicts because that is also
true for WAComponent.

> The contents of Seaside-Platform feel a bit random at the moment.

Indeed