[Seaside-dev] merging Platform and Core

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 10:06:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Philippe Marschall <
philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/2/4 Julian Fitzell <jfitzell at gmail.com>:
>  > Shall we merge them or not?
>
> Pier and Magritte would be good reason not to do it. And honestly if I
> have to write protable code I use WAPlatform ;-)

Ok, so then we need to define what should actually be in that Package. So
far we've just been putting stuff in there as it gets pulled in by
load-order dependencies. Does WACodec belong in there? What about
WADelayedSend? WAPrinter? All of these things are useful utilities that
could *possibly* be useful to some other package but they're not really part
of a basic compaibility platform.

WAError and WAObject could be useful I suppose but one of the things we
wanted with WAObject was to be able to add methods to it for all Seaside
objects and without worrying about name conflicts. If Pier and Magritte and
everything are going to subclass WAObject too, then that is no longer an
appropriate place to do that. We could perhaps have WAPlatformObject in
Seaside-Platform that ensure consistent initialization and then a WAObject
subclass in Seaside-Core that the rest of our objects subclass...

The contents of Seaside-Platform feel a bit random at the moment.