[Seaside-dev] Issue 336 in seaside: try to clarify the naming around codecs

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Thu Feb 5 14:00:50 UTC 2009

Comment #1 on issue 336 by jfitzell: try to clarify the naming around codecs

Original discussion from the list:

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Philippe Marschall
<philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:

     2009/2/1 Julian Fitzell <jfitzell at gmail.com>:
     > Do we really just mean "native" encoding here?

     Yes we mean native, where native means native to your Smalltalk
     dialect and not native to your operating system. They may or may not
     be the same depending on your Smalltalk dialect and your operating
     system ;-)

Yes, understood.

     > My point isn't that we need to support conversions to arbitrary
     > encodings. My point is that it is easier to understand what is
     > happening when you know what the two encodings *are*. We don't have to
     > allow (for the moment) anything but UTF-8 for the external encoding
     > when UTF-8 is specified as the internal encoding. I have no problem
     > with that limitation for now.
     >
     > All I'm saying is if you know your options are "utf-8/native",
     > "latin-1/native", or "utf-8/utf-8" then it is perfectly clear what is
     > being sent to the browser *and* what you are supposed to be dealing
     > with in your image.

     If the options are like this, then I'm cool with it.