[Seaside-dev] common server adaptor infrastructure?

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 16:44:12 UTC 2009

Sorry but the previous implementation was a huge procedural mess of
methods calling each other. It was totally unclear what to do.

- All code was centered around request and response objects, something
that already changed with the introduction of the request context.

- The adapters assumed that conversion happens strictly before and
after processing the request. That's not longer the case.

- Due to the same reason the listener couldn't reuse anything of the
provided templates, it mostly did its own thing.

- The current implementation is much smaller and you only have to
override 4 methods: #basicStart, #basicStop, #requestFor: and
#responseFrom:.

> For example we had a
> #convertRequest: template method that was fairly generic.

Sure, and every adapter replaced it with its own implementation.

> It's still
> there but in the 'old' protocol and has no senders, WTF.

I did not delete the methods so that the other adapters are easier to
change. The methods (and presumably some others) will eventually go.

> only that all this stuff is undocumented and went in whithout
> discussion also the Swazoo 2 adaptor was broken without any intention
> of fixing it.

The methods are all commented, that was not the case before.

> I'm slightly annoyed.

Common. I spent a complete weekend, 2 days from 8:00 till 24:00 fixing
the response and encoding mess and this was not fun at all. Nobody was
willing to help, even if I asked several times. You complaints come a
bit late, but of course I am also fixing Swazoo now ...

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch