[Seaside-dev] common server adaptor infrastructure?

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 17:29:54 UTC 2009

2009/2/15, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com>:
> Sorry but the previous implementation was a huge procedural mess of
> methods calling each other. It was totally unclear what to do.
>
> - All code was centered around request and response objects, something
> that already changed with the introduction of the request context.
>
> - The adapters assumed that conversion happens strictly before and
> after processing the request. That's not longer the case.

Sure, I'm not against cleanup or changing stuff that doesn't really
work. For example WAHeaderFields looks like a good replacement for
WADictionaryMerger.

> - Due to the same reason the listener couldn't reuse anything of the
> provided templates, it mostly did its own thing.

Right the listener never really fit in for the above reasons.

> - The current implementation is much smaller and you only have to
> override 4 methods: #basicStart, #basicStop,

And the status methods.

> #requestFor: and #responseFrom:.

These are quite coarse grained methods. Previously these tasks were
broken up into smaller ones like getting the HTTP method, extracting
the cookies and so forth.

>> For example we had a
>> #convertRequest: template method that was fairly generic.
>
> Sure, and every adapter replaced it with its own implementation.

Nope, only WAComancheRequestConverter for reasons outlined above.
Swazoo and AJP used the one from the superclass.

>> It's still
>> there but in the 'old' protocol and has no senders, WTF.
>
> I did not delete the methods so that the other adapters are easier to
> change. The methods (and presumably some others) will eventually go.

I find it easier the other way around. If only what is needed is there
then you know what you have to provide and don't get confused by
things that are there but not needed.

>> only that all this stuff is undocumented and went in whithout
>> discussion also the Swazoo 2 adaptor was broken without any intention
>> of fixing it.
>
> The methods are all commented, that was not the case before.
>
>> I'm slightly annoyed.
>
> Common. I spent a complete weekend, 2 days from 8:00 till 24:00 fixing
> the response and encoding mess and this was not fun at all. Nobody was
> willing to help, even if I asked several times. You complaints come a
> bit late, but of course I am also fixing Swazoo now ...

Well it's you who felt the itch so you ending up doing the work sounds
fair to me. I'm only aware of the mail from 5. Februar 2009 where you
asked if changing WACodec was fine. I'm not aware of any requests for
help.