[Seaside-dev] Help with stream portability

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 07:16:22 UTC 2009

> Based on my review of the Seaside code (Seaside-Platform through
> Seaside-Environment), I found no (non-test) senders of Stream>>#'position:'
> and only one sender of Stream>>#'position'. The single sender of #'position'
> was WAEncoder class>>#'initializeBMP' and the test for the size of the
> stream contents was trivially refactored to use #'size' instead.

Yeah, let's fix that.

> There only remaining references were both added recently to test Stream for
> ANSI compatibility. Given that Seaside does not send these messages (as far
> as I've been able to determine), I wonder if we could create a new package,
> ANSI-Tests, to hold tests for platform behavior that is not needed by
> Seaside. Philosophically, I'd very much like to have all the tests pass. If
> there are tests that specifically point out failures in unnecessary
> functionality, it would be nice if they could be isolated and expected to
> fail.

The tests just document the behavior we expect from streams. If not
used at the moment, this is nothing bad it should just point out that
there is a problem. Btw, in Squeak one of the Stream tests is also
failing. We'll will live with that. There is nothing wrong with
failing tests.

For tests that are expected to fail for a longer time there is also
#expectedFailures. We are using it in some places. Probably this is an
extension of Squeak though.

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch