[Seaside-dev] Help with stream portability

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 08:58:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:
> The tests just document the behavior we expect from streams. If not
> used at the moment, this is nothing bad it should just point out that
> there is a problem. Btw, in Squeak one of the Stream tests is also
> failing. We'll will live with that. There is nothing wrong with
> failing tests.

I'm actually not totally sure I agree with that. Personally, I find
having failing tests of functionality we aren't even using quite
frustrating. Particularly if it is behaviour that we're not going to
be able to fix anytime soon and therefore should be avoiding for
portability anyway. Realistically, as long as GemStone tells us they
can't support #position, we're not going to use it are we?

I see your point (to a point! :) ) but I don't want to be staring at a
red/yellow bar all the time. And we can't mark them as expected
failures if they pass on some platforms, otherwise *those* platforms
will see the yellow bar.

I would rather see such tests separated off as a warning to porters:
"seaside expects to begin using these ANSI standard methods at some
future point. please make every effort to begin supporting them in
preparation". Then we can simply document in the lint tests and/or
coding conventions not to use those methods.