[Seaside-dev] Seaside-Tests-ANSI Package

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 21:36:10 UTC 2009

I wonder about the package Seaside-Tests-ANSI: It contains two test
methods related to stream positioning in their own test case, while
all the rest of the related ANSI stream test remain in the class
WAPlatformTests in Seaside-Tests-Platform.

I assume that this change was made because a single platform does not
pass these two tests. Does that mean that because Squeak/Pharo is the
only platform where WAPlatformTests>>#testReadStreamIsEmpty fails,
this test has to be brushed under the carpet into Seaside-Tests-ANSI?
This seems totally weird to me.

We will soon end up with a packaging chaos and everybody will randomly
move around methods depending on whether they pass or not. Not seeing
that a test fails defeats the purpose of testing. This is cheating.

In order of personal preference I see 3 possible solutions:

1. Move the 2 tests back to Seaside-Tests-Platform.

2. Move all the ANSI related tests to Seaside-Tests-ANSI. However,
there is already an ANSI test-suite and I would like to avoid
duplicating that effort
(http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/d7011055-4446-4b8e-b6da-e7e32d3389ec).

3. Delete the 3 tests #testReadStreamPosition,
#testWriteStreamPosition and #testReadStreamIsEmpty, as they seem to
test functionality that is not currently in use Seaside. This is at
the risk that suddenly somebody uses these common methods and finds
them broken on some platforms.

Thoughts?

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch