[Seaside-dev] beta?

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemstone.com
Wed Feb 17 01:04:03 UTC 2010

Keep in mind that the only reason for being sticky on the version is to be able to sort the versions. If sorting wasn't an issue, then any old string would work...

If you want to sort, then you must have a scheme otherwise '1.10' sorts earlier that '1.9' and that is not good. In this particular instance it is only necessary to have a parsing rule for distinguishing alphabetic components from numeric components and I know that I can parse 1.0a6 correctly ... it's just a little more programming.

Haha, the scheme that I had in mind appears to match what Mozilla has done...just break the components at string and numeric boundaries where '.' is the numeric separator...There version comparison algorithm is slightly different, but I'd rather follow Mozilla than almost follow Mozilla...

If you want to use 1.0a6 style versions just say the word and I'll make it so ... as I said, I think I will be following the Mozilla scheme going forward after discussion on mailing list which will make parsing a non-issue, but in the Mozilla scheme 1.0a6 still sorts less then 1.0alpha5.

Dale