[Seaside-dev] [Seaside] Package conventions & monticello versioning

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 16:47:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Avi Shefi <avishefi at gmail.com> wrote:
> So... isn't Monticello supported/maintained by someone? is it implemented by
> the needs and wants of different Smalltalk dialects?

Sort of. It was (and is again, in theory) maintained by Colin Putney.
But for a long time it wasn't and several people picked it up and
started customizing it. There are essentially forks now in all the
different Smalltalks.

> I like the idea of Grease, but that too comes with a set of limitations.
> I prefer having an *extension* of some sort that can gap the dialects'
> differences, but that will require a large cooperation from everyone's
> dialects.. Does this "dialect wars" have an ending? I don't see the point.

It's not a war... just a reality, really. Not sure what you mean by
extension... by my definition, Grease *is* a (highly pragmatic)
extension.