[Seaside-dev] 3.0.4 status

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Thu Feb 10 17:23:27 UTC 2011

On 02/10/2011 12:16 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
> 2011/2/10 Philippe Marschall<philippe.marschall at gmail.com>:
>> 2011/2/10 Dale Henrichs<dhenrich at vmware.com>:
>>> I also plan on making a pass at loading Seaside3.0 into Pharo1.2 and
>>> Pharo1.3 according to mail I've seen the only problem with Seaside3.0 on
>>> Pharo1.2 is related to using the proper version of OB and that's what
>>> symbolic versions are for, so I should be able to address that issue.
>>
>> Besides OB I'm aware of two issues:
>> - there several deprecation warnings
>> - file library and tests don't work out of the box because we use
>> Preferences>>  #valueOfFlag: #compileUseNewCompiler:ifAbsent:
>>
>> In general it looks like a Grease for Pharo 1.2 is needed.
>
> Should be decide to do this there are a couple of options to do it:
> - a Monticello branch (
>   <hyphenated-package-name>.<dotted.branch.tag>-<initials>.<count>.mcz)
> - a new package for Pharo 1.2 eg. Grease-Pharo12-Core
> - move Grease-Pharo-Core to 1.2 and have some class extensions in
> Grease-Pharo11-Core like Grease-Pharo10-Core
>
> Does anybody have an preferences? Does Metacello support MC branches?

Metacello supports MC branches, so all three options could be viable.

I'll do a quick load of 3.0.4 into Pharo1.2 and let you know what my
preference would be ... right off the bat, I'll just say that branches
require constant merging so a structural solution (i.e., isolating the
changes in unique packages) is preferable. The branch would make sense
if the affected methods cannot be refactored easily...