[Seaside-dev] commit messages

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 17:00:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Philippe Marschall <
philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/6/20 Julian Fitzell <jfitzell at gmail.com>:
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Nick Ager <nick.ager at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Looking at the code I've just committed:

> >> Presumably this is OK? However I guess my test check-in wasn't clear as
> >> copy and pasted:
> >
> > Well, I'm not sure. There was a DNU.... so how did you fix it? Did you
> add
> > the method somewhere? Change the sender to avoid sending it? Fix a bug
> that
> > was resulting in the method being called on the wrong receiver?
>
> Looking at the code addresses all these issues. In addition Monticello
> doesn't have something like svn annotate. People will see a commit
> message once and never again.

If you can get me commit message diffs back, that's fine. But without those,
it's a *lot* more work to go check the code just to find out I didn't care
in the first place. All I want is enough context in the commit message to
know whether to bother going to look at the code. If the solution seems
obvious, I'm probably fine with it. If the solution seems weird, I'd like to
go dig further.

And I often read the commit messages when looking back through package
history in Monticello... (certainly faster than reading the code on anything
but a very trivial commit).