[Seaside-dev] [Seaside] Build Process

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:26:56 UTC 2011

On 7 March 2011 12:26, Avi Shefi <avishefi at gmail.com> wrote:
> re dedicated Hudson server - not needed. I thought the current server could
> be configured to have an artifact set under which you define a build based
> on specific versions of packages.
>
> re Squeak & Pharo automation - sounds good, probably requires a Hudson
> plugin to make it happen.

No, no plugin required. Just a line of Smalltalk code to trigger
Metacello. Previously we didn't have Metacello builds, because ...

- Metacello wouldn't allow us to load the latest code. And this was
one of the main goals: To always have up-to-date builds with the very
latest code, so that we know when something broke. This seems to be
fixed nowadays.

- Metacello builds were really slow compared to the traditional ones
(which are already slow). Again this made it less useful to have a
quick feedback loop. I don't know if this is fixed nowadays?

It would be really easy to setup a different build (even if it was
slower) that uses Monticello and that would only be triggered when the
configuration changes. Does that make sense? What would be the code to
trigger Metacello? What repository would need to be observed for
changes? Doesn't Pharo already do that?

www.lukas-renggli.ch