[Seaside-dev] R: Porting to VSE

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 13:37:30 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 12:48 PM, Lorenzo Schiavina <lorenzo at edor.it> wrote:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> nice hearing you!
> Sure I would like to try!
> I will appreciate any suggestion you would give to me.
> As far as ESUG is concerned, I am a bit perplexed because they are going to the future (correctly!) and not toward the past.

ESUG is about meeting people.

> At present, for Internet connection I am using WinInet DLL, that is not bad but I do appreciate Seaside and I would like to port to my old Smalltalk.

I think it's best to start with Grease. Load Grease-Core and
Grease-Tests-Core, implement Grease-VSE-Core and get the tests
running.

Packages ending with -Core or no dialect in the name are supposed to
be portable, packages ending with -Dialect (e.g. -Squeak or Pharo)
you'll need to reimplement.

Ideally you implement full Monticello, Metacello and FileTree support
however to get started you can simply extract the chunk file from the
mcz (which is just a ZIP file).
While we like to think the code is portable it is to my knowledge only
really exercised on modern somewhat ANSI-like systems. Unfortunately
unprotable expectations will eventually creep in, one such example was
exception behaviour. Another example is I don't even know how SUnit on
VSE compares to our implicit expectations.

> Of course, I use Pharo for my new application but my core work in VSE.
> The field on which I am working now is Expert Systems.
> If you are interested, please look at my site (unfortunately in Italian) and you will see that I have developed some interesting applications.
>  http://www.edor.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=65

I'm afraid my Italian is on the level of Aldo Raine's.